To get a bonded title or lost auto title for a vehicle. First you have to contact TxDot office near you and fill up a statment of fact so you can get an approval letter from TxDot specifing amount of Surety Bond needed to register your vehicle and obtain a bonded title.

Then you have to find a bonding company to issue the Auto title bond, also known by Lost Title, or defective Title Bond ( ) ( ) ( . In most cases the estimated title bond will cost you around $100 ( one time fee) for bonds valued up to $5000, and bond over $5000 the rate will increase by $15 per $1000.

Bonded Title Procedure:

Step 1: Determine your eligibility

  • In order to qualify, you must be a Texas resident or military personnel stationed in Texas; or
  • Have a vehicle that was last titled in Texas.
  • The vehicle must be in your possession and cannot be considered abandoned, junked, stolen, or in any other pending lawsuits. Although not required to be operational, it must be a complete vehicle including a frame, body and motor or if a motorcycle, a frame and motor.

If you meet the above eligibility requirements take or mail the following documents to your Vehicle Titles and Registration (VTR) Division Regional Office:

Note: A Request for Motor Vehicle Information, Form VTR-275 may be required by your bonding company.

If your documents are approved, you will be issued a letter with the amount of the bond equal to 1½ times the value of the vehicle. The department is responsible for determining the value of the vehicle using:

  • The Standard Presumptive Value (SPV) from our Web site ( as the primary source
  • If a SPV is not available, a national reference guide, National Auto Dealers Association (NADA) will be used
  • If a value is not available either through SPV or NADA, a licensed motor vehicle dealer or insurance adjuster may appraise the vehicle on a form provided by VTR.

Step 2: Purchase a surety bond

Take the letter and other documents given to you by the VTR Regional Office to an auto insurance agency or any agency that is licensed to sell vehicle Surety Bonds in Texas.

You have one year from the date of the letter to purchase a Surety Bond in the amount shown on the letter, otherwise a new letter and bond would be required.

Step 3: Apply for a bonded title

Within 30 days from purchasing the surety bond, take the original letter given to you by the Regional Office and the documents listed above, to your county tax office, in addition to:

  • a completed Form 130-U
  • proof of insurance.
  • weight certificate (if a commercial vehicle or a truck)
  • Vehicle Identification Certificate (Form VI-30), completed by a Safety Inspection Station (if previously titled out-of-state)
  • Customs Document (HS 7) (if vehicle imported from out of country)

Posted 9:04 AM

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2019
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2014
  • 2013
  • 2012
  • 2011
  • 2010

View Mobile Version